Heraclea Sintica: from Hellenistic polis to Roman civitas (4th c. BC – 6th c. AD)
Dates: September 19-21, 2013;
Location: Petrich, Bulgaria; Hotel Bats.
Organizers: National Institute of Archaeology with Museum at Bulgarian
Academy of Sciences, American Research Center in Sofia, Museum of
Sponsors: American Research Center in Sofia, Municipality of Petrich
This international conference will bring together leading scholars to present recent work on the site of Heraclea Sintica, situated near the village of Rupite, ca. 12 km northeast of Petrich, SW Bulgaria. The presentations will be arranged in thematic sections devoted to particular topics, such as, but not limited to:
- Historical topography of Heraclea and its city territory, including necropoleis;
- Recent archaeological excavations on the site;
- Diachronic surveys on literary sources and epigraphic documents;
- Religious monuments and associated cult practices;
- Patterns of coin circulation as related to economy and local markets.